Members of the Motor City Car Club took a trip down memory lane recently, marking the birthday of their president with a mystery tour that ended at their original headquarters in Orono.
The car club, which celebrated its 50th anniversary last year, was originally called the Kontinentals Rod & Custom Club of Oshawa, but changed its name to the MCCC when it merged with the Igniters, another rod and custom club in Oshawa in 1962.
Often confused with antique car refinishers, rod and custom car aficionados typically modify the engines, transmissions and/or suspensions of older cars, rather than simply restore them to their original condition.
A member of the Kontinentals when the clubs merged, Gary Challice of Oshawa, is the current president of MCCC, and one of four original members from 1959. When his 69th birthday came around last month, his fellow MCCC members thought it was a great time to organize one of their “mystery tours,” starting at the Oshawa clubhouse on Taunton Road East, and ending with a surprise finish at the club’s original headquarters: the old flax mill on Orono’s Main Street. Continue reading